Name: Sidney David Roxburgh

Birth Date: 1890 Where: Sydney, New South Wales
Died: 1942 Where: Perth, WA
Place of Enlistment: Blackboy Hill, Western Australia Age: 25
Serial Number: 1993 Battalion: 28th
Rank on Enlistment: Private Rank on Discharge/Death: Sergeant

Awards: 1914 - 15 Star, British War Medal 1914 - 1920, Victory Medal,



Service Details:



22 June

1915                      Blackboy Hill Training camp


1915                      Embarked Egypt

17 October

1915                      Gallipoli

21 March

1916                      France

6/7 June

1916                      Trench Raid

29 July – 27 Aug.

1916                      Pozieres (Sausage Valley)

4 August

1916                      Pozieres

6 September

1916                      Belgium


1916                      Ypres and Dernacourt

3 November

1916                      Battle of Ancres Heights & Fricourt


1917                      Warlencourt


1917                      Attack on Malt Trench

6 March

1917                      Promoted Sergeant

26 May

1917                      Wounded, Battle of Bullecourt (Hindenburg Line)

7 November

1917                     Returned to Australia

21 January

1918                      Discharged





Biographical Details:

Sidney David Roxburgh was born in Sydney in 1890 to parents James Roxburgh and Charlotte Huntington. Although birth and marriage registration records spell his name as Sydney he signed his attestation papers with Sidney.
There is no indication of when or why Sidney moved to Western Australia or how long he had been there. It was unlikely that he moved there especially to enlist because at that time there was heavy recruiting in all eastern states. However he did enlist in the 3rd Reinforcement of the 28th Battalion in June 1915 and nominated his father, still resident in NSW, as Next of Kin.  
After completing training in Egypt Sidney finally joined the 28th in Gallipoli in October, a month after the Battalion had been deployed there.
On the Trench Raid, Sidney was part of the Right Blocking Party. After the post Raid furlough to England Sidney was charged with failing to parade at Victoria Station.  He was given 168 hours of Field Punishment and fined 11 days pay. Sidney was given a further 168 hours of Field Punishment for being absent without leave for 4 days in early July. Three weeks later he was promoted T/Corporal.
In March 1917, soon after being promoted Sergeant, Sidney was wounded in the right thigh and chest.  His wounds were severe enough for him to be invalided back to Australia where in January 1918 he was given a medical discharge and granted a 23 shilling fortnightly pension.
Sidney settled in Perth and married Kathleen Cullen in 1919. They had a son in 1920.
Sidney continued his pre-war trade as a butcher. In 1924 he applied for a repatriation grant of £150 to purchase a partnership in a butchery. Unfortunately, in 1926, he had to declare bankruptcy.
Sidney died at Perth Hospital, aged 52, in 1942.