Name: Arthur Powell


Birth Date: 1892 Where: New South Wales
Died: 29th July, 1916 Where: Pozieres, France
Place of Enlistment: Blackboy Hill, Western Australia Age: 22
Serial Number: 368 Battalion: 28th
Rank on Enlistment: Private Rank on Discharge/Death: Private

Awards: 1914 - 15 Star, British War Medal 1914 - 1920, Victory Medal,


Photograph Powell
Service Details:



25 February

1915                      Blackboy Hill Training camp

9 June

1915                      Embarked from Fremantle


1915                      Embarked Egypt

10 Sept. – 12 Dec.

1915                      Gallipoli

21 March

1916                      France

6/7 June

1916                      Trench Raid

29 July – 27 Aug.

1916                      Killed in Action, Pozieres (Sausage Valley)





Biographical Details:

Arthur Powell was born in Broken Hill NSW to John Powell and Mary Brown in 1892. Sometime between 1895 and 1897 his family moved to Kalgoorlie, WA. He had six siblings – a brother and two sisters born in NSW and a brother and two sisters born in WA.
Arthur was educated at Boulder Central School, where his name was later added to the Honour Board of fallen, past students. It was in Boulder that he enlisted in February, 1915.
With the rest of the 28th Battalion originals Arthur commenced his training at Blackboy Hill. In June the Battalion sailed to Egypt for further training and then on to Gallipoli. Here Arthur was hospitalised twice – for a groin infection and then Gonorrhoea. On 21st March, 1916 the 28th Battalion arrived in France. On the 25th, Arthur was charged with being AWL for the previous five days. He was given 21 days Field Punishment (FP) No. 2. In April he received another 14 days FP for being AWL for another day.
On the June raid, Arthur was one of Capt Foss’s messengers, a role which became more important when the telephone wires were cut during the initial German retaliatory bombardment.
Arthur’s poor record of being AWL continued in London at the end of the Special Leave the Raiders had been awarded.  With several others he was found guilty of failing to parade at Victoria Station for the return to France. They were arrested in London and brought before a General Field Court Martial. This resulted in another 49 days of FP.
In late July Arthur was charged with Neglecting to comply with an order and Insolence to a superior officer. Again he was given FP (14 days). It is unlikely that Arthur served much of his accumulated FP; he was killed in action at Pozieres seven days later.
Arthur Powell’s remains were never recovered.  His name appears on a wall of the Australian National Memorial, Villers-Bretonneux, France.
Arthur’s mother, the beneficiary of his will, received Arthur’s three service medals, the Memorial Scroll and the Memorial Plaque.  She died in 1958.

Addendum: In a recently obtained copy of a letter written to his mother, Arthur stated that he was Foss's personal runner and also the second Australian, after Foss, to enter a German trench.