Name: George Thomas Alfred Limbrick


Birth Date: 1896 Where: Tasmania
Died: 15 August, 1918 Where: Amiens, France
Place of Enlistment: Claremont, Tasmania Age: 19
Serial Number: 1265 Battalion: 26th
Rank on Enlistment: Private Rank on Discharge/Death: Private

Awards: 1914 - 15 Star, British War Medal 1914 - 1920, Victory Medal


Photograph Limbrick

Service Details:



17 May

1915                      Enlisted

9 June

1915                      Embarked Australia


1915                      Embarked Egypt

10 Sept. – 12 Dec.

1915                      Gallipoli

21 March

1916                      France

6/7 June

1916                      Trench Raid

29 June

1916                      Wounded

11 June

1917                     Rejoined Battalion


1917                      Cassel

18 September

1917                      Ypres

7 October

1917                      Wounded, Broodseine & Passchendale

3 August

1918                      Rejoined Battalion

16 August

1918                      Died of Wounds, Somme





Biographical Details:

George Thomas Alfred Limbrick was born to William Herbert Limbrick and Hannah Elizabeth Hasler at New Norfolk, Tasmania in 1897. He lived and was educated in Hobart where he worked as a tram conductor before enlisting, with his mother’s consent, at the age of 17.  He had a younger brother, Hortin, who also enlisted, served in Europe and returned to Australia in 1919.
George was wounded on three occasions and with two bouts of VD spent a lot of time in hospitals in England. It may have been the boredom of recovery or just temptation but George was charged with being AWL on three occasions, each while he was confined to hospital.
In May, 1916, prior to the Raid George was a member of a scouting party lead by Lt Clarke of the 26th Battalion. While returning from no man’s land they were hit with a bomb.  Limbrick and two other soldiers were commended for their work in moving an injured officer to shelter. Their efforts were never officially acknowledged although a wounded NCO who also assisted received a DCM. Clarke thought the bomb was probably a grenade thrown from the Australian parapet.
During the Black ANZACs Trench Raid George was part of the Left Parapet Party and was wounded by a shell blast when sheltering in no man’s land. He was carried in by stretcher, treated at a Casualty Clearing Station (CCS) and then transferred to England for further treatment. He was not with the raiders when they enjoyed their special leave in London but his Service records show that he was granted furlough just prior to being discharged from hospital.
Twelve months later George returned to his Battalion.  He was wounded again three months later and rejoined his unit in July 1918.  In August he was wounded again and died in hospital just four days after his 21st birthday. He was buried at Le Cateau Cemetery.
This notice appeared in the Mercury on the first anniversary of his Death:
LIMBRICK. – In loving memory of our dear son, Private George T. Limbrick died of wounds August 15th, 1918.
Sadly today I am thinking   Of my dear son so brave;
He fought for the cause of freedom, Now he sleeps in a soldier’s grave.                               
Inserted by his loving mother, L. Jarvis, and his brother, H. Limbrick O.A.S .

On Active Service