Name: Alexander Kirkwood


Birth Date: 1879 Where: Glasgow, Scotland
Died: Where:
Place of Enlistment: Claremont, Tasmania Age: 36
Serial Number: 2040 Battalion: 26th
Rank on Enlistment: Private Rank on Discharge/Death: Private

Awards: 1914 - 15 Star, British War Medal 1914 - 1920, Victory Medal,



Service Details:



23 June

1915                      Enlsited

10 September

1915                      Embarked Australia

9 December

1915                      Gallipoli

21 March

1916                      France

6/7 June

1916                      Trench Raid

7 June

1916                      Wounded on raid

2 July

1917                      Returned to Australia

6 September

1917                      Discharged





Biographical Details:

Alexander Kirkwood was born in Glasgow in 1879 to Eliza Jones and Daniel Kirkwood. His family migrated to South Australia when he was two years old. He nominated a sister (Myrtle) living in South Australia as Next Of Kin but he was working in Tasmania when he enlisted at Claremont in June 1916.
Alexander was part of the 3rd Reinforcement which, after training in Egypt joined the 26th Battalion in Gallipoli in December 1915. He volunteered for the June Trench Raid and was a member of the Covering Party. Alexander was one of the four soldiers wounded while sheltering in no-man’s-land.  He was transferred to England for treatment to a damaged arm. Because he missed the special leave awarded to the Raiders, Alexander was given furlough in September that year.
Alexander was unable to return to France.  In November he was hospitalised with Delusional Insanity.  At the same time he was being treated for Neurosyphilis, a period of 134 days. He was eventually classified as being permanently unfit for service with General Paralysis of the Insane 164, believed to be caused by pre-existing Syphilis but aggravated by active service.
Alexander was returned to Australia and admitted to the Receiving Home , Royal Park, Victoria. He was discharged in September, 1917. In March 1924 he died in hospital.
The following article appeared in the Leader newspaper in March 1924. Although the details of his illness differ from that of his military record the commentary is interesting.

   A sad death occurred in the Augaston District Hospital last week-
end, when Alexander Kirkwood passed away as the result of a cerebral
tumor caused by a shell wound in the forehead sustained during the
war. Deceased, who was 46 years of age, was born in Edinborougb, Scot-
land, and migrated to Australia when only two years old. He had
only one relative in the colony, Mrs. W. B. Wright, of Kawker St., Croydon, and he had been of late employed at a Nuriootpa Hotel. The
remains were laid to rest In the Angaston Cemetery on Sunday, when
only two cars carried the few who paid a pathetic tribute to another
returned man who went west, through the terrible maw of war.
His service medals were issued but returned undelivered.


The first Psychiatric Hospital established in Victoria