Name: Herbert John Evans


Birth Date: 1885 Where: New South Wales
Died: Where:
Place of Enlistment: Perth, Western Australia Age: 30
Serial Number: 884 Battalion: 28th
Rank on Enlistment: Private Rank on Discharge/Death: Private

Awards: 1914 - 15 Star, British War Medal 1914 - 1920, Victory Medal,



Service Details:



9 March

1915                      Blackboy Hill Training camp

9 June

1915                      Embarked from Fremantle


1915                      Embarked Egypt

10 Sept. – 12 Dec.

1915                      Gallipoli

21 March

1916                      France

6/7 June

1916                      Trench Raid

29 July – 27 Aug.

1916                      Pozieres (Sausage Valley)

4 August

1916                      Pozieres

6 August

1916                      Wounded, Pozieres

9 January

1917                      Rejoined Battalion


1917                      Warlencourt

8 February

1917                      Hospital

31 March

1917                      Rejoined Battalion

3 May

1917                      Wounded

11 November

1918                      Armistice

5 April

1919                      Disembarked, Aust

19 September

1919                      DischargedReturned to Australia





Biographical Details:

Herbert Albert Evans was born at Mt McDonald NSW in March 1885, to Thomas and Leonora Evans. Herbert was the youngest in a family of five boys and a girl. His family moved to Western Australia probably after the death of their mother in 1908. Until he enlisted in March 1915 Herbert had worked as a miner. One record states that he was an amalgamator so presumably he was working with mercury extraction of gold. With the originals of the 28th Battalion Herbert trained at Blackboy Hill and then in Egypt before being sent to Gallipoli in September 1916. While at Gallipoli, Herbert became ill with Influenza. He was eventually transferred to Gibraltar and then England for treatment. While in England he was charged with obscene language, assaulting an MP and resisting arrest and consequently served 14 days detention. Herbert rejoined his Battalion in Alexandria and was with it when the 7th Brigade moved to France. On the June 6/7th Trench Raid, Herbert was part of Lieutenant Brown’s Right Bombing Party. In August, Herbert was wounded at Pozieres. After recovering in England he returned to France but was hospitalised again. In May 1917 he received shell wounds to an arm and a leg at the Battle of Bullecourt. He was transferred to England where he spent most of the next two years recovering from wounds and illnesses. A doctor classified him as permanently unfit for service because of varicose veins, attributed to service, bomb wounds and alcoholism. On return to Australia Herbert was hospitalised because of ongoing health problems both physical and mental. Herbert Albert Evans died in Fremantle Hospital on 26th November 1919 after being struck by the cow catcher of a train. A report in the West Australian35 quoted the driver as saying that Herbert had appeared to have deliberately lain across the tracks. A doctor from the hospital stated Herbert had claimed to have been crossing the tracks when struck. Herbert died the same day. In 1920 Herbert’s brother Thomas contacted the AIF informing them of Herbert’s death and hoping to learn who had withdrawn Herbert’s deferred pay.